Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

No Bread, Whole Wheat Tortillas A Perfect Substitute

The cantaloupe is cut up, the juice is dripping all over the place, I grab the ingredients for a sandwich. I opened the drawer we keep our bread in to find NO BREAD.

J, did you buy bread the other day? His reply, no.

Yesterday when I went to the store, I didn't buy bread because I thought my husband did. Oh what a vicious cycle, I tell you. So instead I had to make do. We did have Diestel Turkey, cantaloupe, cherries, and barbecue Pirate's Booty. I looked in the refrigerator and found some tortillas. My daughter is a big fan of cheese quesadillas, but today I just made her a turkey wrap. I stick the tortilla in the toaster oven for a minute to soften it a bit (they harden in the refrigerator), added cheese, mustard, turkey, rolled it up, cut it, and called it done!

My take on tortillas:
Tortillas are the one item I won't buy in the conventional grocery store. I always buy them at Whole Foods. Why? The ingredients are far superior. I pay $1.99 for a 1o count of La Mariposa organic whole wheat tortillas. La Mariposa tortillas are locally made, but all Whole Foods stores carry in house made tortillas (with great ingredients).

Why not conventional tortillas? The ingredients. When I see a mainstream brand package of tortillas sitting on the grocery shelf of the market not refrigerated, I cringe. I don't care if they are "spinach, vegetable, whole grain" or what ever marketing tactics they try, just read the ingredients. Our tortillas have to be refrigerated because they are fresh and not full of chemical preservatives. They also will mold very fast if not refrigerated, but I don't mind. I'd rather not have the preservatives to keep them for a month.

Get out your tortillas and compare, the list should be easy to read. Here's the La Mariposa ingredients: Certified Organic Wheat Flour, Water, C.O. Sunflower Oil, Salt, Non GMO Aluminum Free Baking Powder, Citric Acid. That's it. Most importantly, no hydrogenated oils (to prolong shelf life) and no MSG or chemically derived ingredients.

It's the little things that add up, keep your eyes on the label. Always read the ingredients and start to put your purchase power behind companies that produce superior products!

---------------------------------
Disclosure: All products mentioned in this post were purchased by my family. I did not receive any samples or pay by any of the companies mentioned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We're in this together, thanks for sharing!